Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Kissing boys....and so it begins


Alyssa came home from school today and as I was reading her planner I saw a note from her teacher and it said "Please talk to Alyssa about kissing boys at school as we do not allow it"...my first reaction was a laugh...then a OMG she is kissing boys and she is only 5 years old!!!! the second thought was where did she kiss him? Why did she kiss him? Kyle and I are very open and kiss in front of the kids but I show this as a way of letting them see how much we love each other.So I asked Alyssa the questions I had and this is how our conversation went:
Mom: "Alyssa who did you kiss at school?"
Alyssa:"Jack's friend Nick, he's in the other class"
Mom: "Why are you kissing boys you are too
little, and did you kiss him on the lips?"
Alyssa: "Ewww, Mom that is gross, I kissed him on the head don't tell Daddy he won't understand!" (she starts to cry)
Mom: " Alyssa I won't tell him ( to self I know I will) but you are not in
t trouble just remember we need to hug our friends not kiss, ok?"
Alyssa: "OK Mommy"
So that was our conversation of course I told Kyle and he thought it was funny she thought he would not understand. We had a private laugh and for the sake of not embarrassing her we decided Kyle would not bring it up to her. I look at this situation and think "Is this what it will be like" not the laughing part but will she come to me and trust that I will protect her and know that I will always understand?" I hope so, I try to enjoy today and not worry about what the future holds but kissing at 5 years old....in 10 years what will it be? Ok I will enjoy it now cause looking that far ahead is scary.

1 comment:

Katherine @ Sweet Caroline's said...

I will have to call you when Caroline gets to that age... only about 2 years from now. I hope mine will share with me the way your daughter did... don't they grow too fast?!?

Love your page and 'flowers'!

katherine